Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Don't Make My Mistakes

I used to be a 'super supporter' until I realized that it cost me too much. Because I was the listener and when it was my turn to be listened to, there was always something else on the agenda. Whenever I was in trouble, my troubles were considered not as important. I was always on the hearing end of the, 'I need you to do this'.

Lately I've decided that I am also important, my needs matter, and I am not putting everyone before me, only to be stuck without.

I couldn't have been more that 17 when my dad said, "No one is going to be there when you need them the way you always are." At the time I thought it was a selfish thought but as I grew I realized he's right.


At the end of the day people are selfish and they only care about what they need. There have been times in my life where I've been at my lowest and found myself alone. How is that when I've been there for everyone, there are times when I feel completely alone?  I recall being a shoulder, a sounding board, a financier, a secret keeper and in my time of need I've been informed that my tears are inconvenient.

So don't make my mistakes. Choose your friends wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment